Sunday, August 16, 2009

NYC a world of ciaos and opportunity.

Since starting to prepare to leave NYC, I thought about what I did these past two years. I have done and experienced a lot of new things. I have grown and learned a lot. This city offers many opportunities but it's YOU who has to go after them. I have three weeks until I am moving out of my first apartment that I ever moved into! I have been in NYC for two years! Sept 2007-Sept 2009

My first time I went to New York City was with my parents and second time with my high school for an art class. I grew up in a small town in PA and I always thought living in NYC would be the coolest place to live. I felt I finally made it. wow! I'm in a big city! I always saw New York as a glamours place to live. In movies NYC seemed to be the ideal place to live. There's so many resources and opportunity. The city that never sleeps and where you dreams can come true.

My goal was to go to graduate school and get work experience. There's so much to do in New York! many plays, restaurants, and shopping places etc. It's a great place for entrainment. I had so fun meeting new friends and doing different activities. I love how diverse NYC is and offers many opportunities to learn something new. The more time I spent here I felt I was loosing focus on why I came to New York. Life here seems like a circle. Work life and weekends can become mundane. You know how life can get here. Hectic! I can't see myself settling into this kind of life style. I felt where's the meaning of all of this? I wanted to do something more meaningful.

I tried to keep up with my community service since it has always been part of my life. My first volunteer activity was in 6th grade with my mother at a local nursing home. We filled up the water pitchers together.
I signed up for New York Cares and other organizations while I was here. Even though your life can be crazy busy, there's should be time for others and to give back to your community.

Food for Thought: Do you remember watching the movie Pay it Forward with Kevin Spencey, Helen Hunt and the cute kid Haley Joel Osment.
Pay it forward is the concept of asking that a good turn be repaid by having it done to others instead. So imagine what you can do. http://www.payitforwardfoundation.org/

Compassion: a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.


2 comments:

Yoon JI said...

your heart is so warm

Yoon JI said...

I have my blog also. Come visit! though, it is mostly in Korean :)